Golden Turkey/Golden Belt Mine
The Golden Turkey Mine and the Golden Belt Mine are two big mines easily seen from Crown King Rd. They both sit on the west side of Turkey Creek and are just inside of the Prescott National Forest. There is not a lot of information on them but below, is what we were able to find.
The Golden Belt Mine is located a few hundred feet north of the Golden Turkey Mine. It was discovered by George Zika in 1873. It later reopened in 1931 and was owned by the Golden Belt Mines, Inc. The mine stopped production in 1961. The tabular vein was assayed at about $5-$40 of gold per ton. Internal workings include a 800 foot long inclined shaft made in January of 1934 as well as several 100 foot long drifts. The mine produced gold, silver and lead.
The Golden Turkey Mine which is just south of the Golden Belt Mine is at an elevation of about 3,000 feet. It was discovered in 1900 by Theising. It was later reopened in 1933 by H.C. Mitchell & Associates. The mine produced from about 1923-1949. Underground workings included a 100 foot long shaft, which was later a 500 foot deep inclined shaft, and about 2,000 feet of workings. The mine produced gold, silver, lead, zinc and Copper.
A two story building at the Golden Belt Mine was being considered by the U.S. Forest Service to become a place on the National Register of Historic Places. However, a fire in 2006, possibly arson, destroyed much of the structure. Only the bottom floor remains today. This building could have been used for anything at the mine, however we think it could have been the assay office.
To access these mines, follow Crown King Rd. past a one lane bridge and the Prescott National Forest boundary then up a hill. At the top (around the bend) take a left onto a small mining road. This leads to these mines. Access may be restricted. The forest service has fenced off much of the mine along the main road.
Dodder, Joanna. "Authorities investigate mine fire." Daily Courier 4/18/06: n. pag. Web. 11 Jul 2010.